Show TimesTuesday - 11:00 am - 12:00 pmTuesday - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Each week presenter Piers Cunningham discusses a range of fascinating topics ranging from new apps for your smart phone, great websites we’ve unearthed and the latest gadgets through to human and robotic space exploration, plus podcasts from around the world.
We have regular guests talking about how to harness new technologies and the implications of the latest scientific thinking. Listeners are assured of finding something to whet their appetite for science and tech and point them in the right direction for further reading or study.
Piers Cunningham as a background in publishing and journalism while more recently he’s been occupied renovating houses.
His interests include music, film making, travel, space exploration and of course, given the subject matter of BI, science and technology.
- Monster Dust Storm Threatens Mars RoverLast heard from on June 10th, NASA’s venerable Opportunity rover has entered low power mode as the sky darkens dramatically, reducing solar power at Meridiani Planum to dangerous and unprecedented low levels. Meanwhile, an international flotilla of orbiters takes full advantage to harvest precious information about how dust storms form... Read more »
- Weekly News From Beyond Infinity 19/6/18Our weekly news round-up: Trump directs Pentagon to set up “Space Force” to ensure America’s continued dominance beyond Earth; Microsoft’s Project Natick places environmentally friendly data centres underwater; Google’s DeepMind AI learns how to see via a generative query network; Europe’s new General Data Protection Regulation is cleaning up the... Read more »
- Issues Facing The World’s Bees (Part 1)In the first of a three part interview, bee experts Simon Mulvany and Ben Moore compare Australia’s honey bee industry with those in Europe and New Zealand. They discuss the big problems caused by the varroa mite and welcome the banning of neonicotinoids, which are widely-used insecticides deadly to bees.... Read more »
- All New Republic Of Gamers (ROG) PhoneWith a 6 inch display, the latest Snapdragon 845 SoC, 8GB of RAM and a 90Hz refresh rate, the ROG phone is really more gaming console than phone. It also has some neat add-ons to boost battery life and enhance the gaming experience. For serious gamers, this device sounds like... Read more »
- Chipping Away At The Global Problem Of Plastic PollutionTo find an alternative to cellophane, NZ biotech start-up Humble Bee looks to mimic the Australian masked bee’s nesting material to create a bioplastic. ... Read more »
- Weekly News From Beyond Infinity 12/6/18Our weekly news round-up: Japan moves to tighten regulations on Airbnb; How to save on iPhone storage costs; Juno mission extended by 3.5 years to meet science goals; Continuing headaches for some NBN users; Most popular ridiculously insecure passwords; PageUp HR reveals major breach of clients’ personal details. ... Read more »
- Amazon Geoblocks Its US Site For AussiesAhead of the July 1st introduction of GST on all online purchases, the ecommerce juggernaut now redirects shoppers to its Australian site. Some are disappointed at the reduced choice this change will entail, while others reckon the change will have minimal impact. ... Read more »
- Weekly News From Beyond Infinity 5/6/18Our weekly news round-up: Tencent and Alibaba look like becoming trillion dollar companies, dominating 770 million Chinese internet users; Curiosity rover resumes onboard rock sample analysis after 18 month hiatus; Cryosleep chamber under development by NASA for long-duration space travel; Big Californian utilities expand their EV infrastructure spend in readiness... Read more »
- Beyond Infinity Show Notes 5/6/18Ecommerce Fear not, shoppers: Amazon’s Australian geoblock won’t cramp your style Health Most women with a common type of early-stage breast cancer can skip chemo, a new report finds Space NASA’s Cryosleep Chamber Could Help You Snooze Your Way to Mars Electric Vehicles In California, utilities will spend $768 million on electric car infrastructure Technology Worried About Big Tech?... Read more »