Show TimesTuesday - 11:00 am - 12:00 pmTuesday - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Each week presenter Piers Cunningham discusses a range of fascinating topics ranging from new apps for your smart phone, great websites we’ve unearthed and the latest gadgets through to human and robotic space exploration, plus podcasts from around the world.
We have regular guests talking about how to harness new technologies and the implications of the latest scientific thinking. Listeners are assured of finding something to whet their appetite for science and tech and point them in the right direction for further reading or study.
Piers Cunningham as a background in publishing and journalism while more recently he’s been occupied renovating houses.
His interests include music, film making, travel, space exploration and of course, given the subject matter of BI, science and technology.
- Continuing Fall Out From The PageUp Data BreachMany major Australian companies have had job applicants’ data compromised by the hacking of Melbourne-based online recruitment services company PageUp. While the true scope of damage is unknown, some might well ask whether it’s such a good idea to outsource their hiring needs. ... Read more »
- Issues Facing The World’s Bees (Part 3)In the final part of our interview with professional apiarists Simon Mulvany and Ben Moore, we discuss what’s so important about bees and how attitudes are changing both in Australia and abroad to the vital need for healthy bee populations. Plus, Simon updates us on his protracted legal dispute with... Read more »
- The Militarisation Of Gene Editing TechnologiesThough incredibly promising for eradicating nasty disease, there remain troubling questions about unintended consequences. Now the US military is getting in on the act, looking at how to defend against and take advantage of gene drives – genetic engineering technology that can propagate inheritable genes through a population. ... Read more »
- The Fine Art Of Decrypting Your Energy BillsUnnecessary bill complexity is a real (and quite deliberate) issue for Australian retail energy consumers. Here we offer suggestions on how to secure a discount from your provider. There are also several price comparison websites including: energywatch.com.au and compare.energy.vic.gov.au ... Read more »
- Weekly News From Beyond Infinity 3/7/18Our weekly news round-up: New Facebook patent describes how a TV ad could contain a hidden audio trigger for your smart phone’s mic; Raya – the world’s most exclusive social network; NASA’s NExSS aims to refine how biosignatures are used to assess the chance of life beyond Earth; Saturn’s moon... Read more »
- Tips And Tricks On How To Capitalise On Social MediaSimon Mulvany of Save The Bees Australia has single-handedly run a successful media campaign centered around Facebook and Instagram. Here he offers his insights into how to take full advantage of the power of social media to build a community and raise awareness of a business or social issue. ... Read more »
- Cedar Anderson On Inventing And Crowd-Funding The Flow HiveThe co-inventor of the Flow Hive and founder of Beeinventive describes the journey to get ‘honey on tap’, plus his super effective use of social media and the new deluxe model, the Flow Hive 2. Cedar explains how the original Flow Hive developed over a 10 year period, culminating in... Read more »
- Weekly News From Beyond Infinity 26/6/18Our weekly news round-up: Mars VR on Kickstarter to fund new open source VR platform for the public and eventual settlers to visualise Mars landing site; How binge drinking leads to insomnia; New Firefox desktop browser is strong response to crisis of confidence with internet’s privacy and security; Tesla ramps... Read more »
- Issues Facing The World’s Bees (Part 2)Simon and Ben discuss different approaches to bee keeping in different parts of the world. Despite strong apiarist traditions in Europe, efforts are being made to breed bees that are better at cleaning each other, using genetics. They outline the hot issues facing their industry and explain some of the... Read more »