Here’s everything you need to know.
‘Take it seriously’
The NSW government is urging young people to take the COVID-19 pandemic seriously, revealing more than a quarter of the state’s current coronavirus cases are in people aged under 29.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard told reporters on Sunday that NSW recorded 87 new cases, bringing the state’s total to 2580.
Of those, 565 are people aged under 29, while a total of 105 cases are in people aged under 19. Three people in their 30s have been put on ventilators in intensive care.
“I keep hearing messages that young people think this isn’t going to affect them … it can affect young people and it is currently affecting young people,” Mr Hazzard said.
“Take it seriously is my message to young people … if you don’t take it seriously for yourself when you hear those statistics, you should be taking it seriously for your friends, your family, the community.
An interstate traveller has been arrested and charged in Perth for allegedly breaching mandatory self isolation rules on several occasions.
The 35-year-old man from Victoria arrived in Western Australia on March 28 and was provided a room at a Perth hotel to quarantine in before his arrest on Sunday.
Police allege the man breached self-isolation multiple times, and on one occasion wedged open a fire exit door at the hotel so he could leave and re-enter without staff seeing, and also used public transport to travel around while out of isolation.
The man remains in police custody and was refused bail on the basis he is likely to reoffend, placing the public in danger.
The arrest comes as WA enforces its unprecedented temporary hard border closure which came into effect at 11.59pm on Sunday.
And… another self-iso arrest
A man has been arrested for failing to follow isolation rules after his recent return to Tasmania from Victoria.
The 50-year-old had been provided accommodation for his mandatory isolation, but after investigations by police it was discovered he had breached isolation rules on several occasions and was arrested on Sunday.
The man was charged with offences under the Public Health Act 1997 and bailed with further conditions to appear in the Launceston Magistrates Court at a later date.
The man has returned to the government-provided accommodation to continue his period of isolation.
The arrest comes as Tasmania toughens restrictions to stop people heading to their holiday homes or taking boating trips over the Easter break.
Premier Peter Gutwein said many elderly people lived in these areas, and they needed to be protected, as the state’s confirmed cases rose to 82.
The Queen has urged Britons to believe that “better days will return” as the UK assumed the unwelcome mantle of deadliest coronavirus hotspot in Europe after a record 24-hour jump in deaths that surpassed even hard-hit Italy.
Meanwhile in the United States, people braced for what the country’s top doctor warned would be “the hardest and saddest week” of their lives.
“This is going to be our Pearl Harbour moment, our 9/11 moment,” US Surgeon General Jerome Adams said.
New York City, the US epicentre of the pandemic, suggested a glimmer of hope, with Governor Andrew Cuomo saying that daily deaths had dropped slightly, along with intensive care admissions and the number of patients who needed breathing tubes inserted.
Still, he warned that it was “too early to tell” the significance of those numbers.
Death toll falls
France’s daily death toll from the coronavirus has fallen in the past 24 hours and admissions into intensive care also slowed, the health ministry says, thanking citizens for largely respecting a lockdown to halt the spread of the virus.
The health ministry data on Sunday showed that 357 people died from COVID-19 in hospitals, compared with 441 in the previous 24 hours, taking the total toll in hospitals to 5889.
It said that 2189 people had died in nursing homes since March 1, taking France’s total death toll to 8078.
“These data confirms that the epidemic is ongoing in the country, and continues to hit hard,” the ministry said.
Confirmed COVID-19 cases in France since the start of the epidemic rose by 2.7 per cent or 1873 to 70,478, the ministry said in daily update of the situation.
‘We will overcome it’
Queen Elizabeth has told the British people that they would overcome the coronavirus outbreak if they stayed resolute in the face of lockdown and self-isolation, invoking the spirit of World War II in an extremely rare TV address.
In what was only the fifth broadcast of her 68-year reign, Elizabeth called upon Britons to show the resolve of their forebears and demonstrate they were as strong as generations of the past.
“Together we are tackling this disease, and I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute, then we will overcome it,” the 93-year-old monarch said in the address from her Windsor Castle home where she is staying with her husband Prince Philip, 98.
“While we have faced challenges before, this one is different. This time we join with all nations across the globe in a common endeavour, using the great advances of science and our instinctive compassion to heal. We will succeed – and that success will belong to every one of us.”
People across India have turned off the lights of their homes and lit candles and lamps in response to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call to “challenge the darkness spread by the coronavirus crisis”.
In cities, towns and villages, families confined to their homes by a country-wide lockdown gathered at their doors, balconies and windows at 9pm on Sunday in a show of solidarity in the fight against the infectious virus.
Many lit candles and lamps and waved torches while others cheered to show their support in a gesture that lasted nine minutes.
Children and elders chanted “go, corona, go,” as well as other spiritual and patriotic slogans.
“This brings us closer. It is also for peace and healing of the world afflicted by the deadly virus,” a slum-dweller in Delhi told TV channels.
More restrictions likely
Britain will be forced to impose more restrictions on outdoor exercise if people flout lockdown rules designed to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the health minister says.
Daily exercise, such as walking, running or cycling, is allowed as long as people maintain social distancing.
But any other activity such as sunbathing could put others at risk and prolong the lockdown, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday.
Most people were complying, he said, but if a minority continued to break the rules “we then might have to take further action”.
“What we are doing is being absolutely clear that the current rules must be followed,” he told a daily media briefing.
There were fears that warm spring weather on Sunday could encourage Britons to head to parks.
Story: SEVEN News