The Lang Lang Community Recreation Precinct is a 36-hectare development including sporting and community facilities, parks and open spaces. It is located in Lang Lang at the corner of Soldiers Road and Caldermeade Road.
The project is the result of a partnership between Cardinia Shire Council, the Rotary Club of Koo Wee Rup–Lang Lang and Lang Lang Community Bank® Branch. The community bank funded the purchase of the undeveloped site in 2014 and handed the land over to the council for public use.
Bendigo Bank’s Community Bank® branches return most of the profit they make to the communities they are part of. This investment was part of their mission to contribute in a very meaningful way to the Lang Lang community and the region.
Consultation with local sports clubs, community groups and Cardinia Shire Council has been extensive. Getting stakeholders together helped to align the need for facilities with the investment required to get the project underway.
The project is being funded through:
- a $3.3 million contribution from the Lang Lang Community Bank® Branch (includes the $1 million purchase price for the land, plus an additional $2.3 million cash contribution)
- $15 million from federal, state and local government, including $1.5 million through the Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Program.
There has long been a need for dedicated sports facilities in Lang Lang. And with the region forecast to grow in the next decade, this new infrastructure will be appreciated by the community and visitors.
Stage 1 of the project involves around $6.1 million of civil works which will get the site up and running by early 2019. At the end of April 2018, the following areas had been completed.
- Construction of two sports ovals for AFL football and cricket.
- Construction of four cricket practice bays with full synthetic grass.
- Construction of four netball courts with acrylic surfaces and player shelters.
- Earthworks for the main pavilion and two football/cricket ovals.
- Internal bitumen access roads, car parks, gutters and footpaths.
- Installation of flood lights.
- Landscaping and planting of a natural wetlands area.
Stage 1 is close to completion, with final landscaping to be done and power to be connected to the site. The project managers expect cricket will be played on site in early 2019 (weather permitting).
A tender for the design of the main sports pavilion has now closed and the applications are under review. Construction is expected to begin on the pavilion towards the end of 2018.
Cardinia Shire have developed a 15–20-year master plan for the precinct, in consultation with the Lang Lang community, which includes additional soccer pitches, tennis courts, lawn bowls green, playground and extra clubrooms.
For more information drop in to the Lang Lang Community Bank® Branch.
You can also keep up-to-date with progress by following us on Facebook.
More Posts for Show: RPP FM programming